Monday 9 January 2012

#41 Book Review: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer




The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer #1)
Genre: Young Adult
Pages:452
Release date: September 27th 2011
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Source: Owned
Format: Hardcover
Summary from Goodreads:
Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
It can.
She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember   that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.
There is.
She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.
She's wrong.


My review:

Cover:
Absolutely gorgeous. I always love covers set in underwater. Love the cover models and how they seem to be hugging under the water. I think I've featured this in my Cover Crazy post and what convinced me to read this book was the cover completely! The summary wasn't very intriguing for me but I couldn't look away from the cover so I had to read it!

5 Forget-me-not flowers for the cover!

Story:
This book completely blew me away. So I decided reading this together with Mary@Anxirium and Racquel @TheBookBarbies so we can have a discussion about the books. I already had a good feeling when starting this book because the cover is absolutely gorgeous. The story? Even better. 


First of all, I love books that are unpredictable. Honestly, when I read the summary, I couldn't even guess what the genre of this book would be. I know it's YA but is it paranormal? dystopian? or even other genres I rarely read? While reading this book, I kept on trying to guess who Mara Dyer is and trying to understand the life she's currently living. I'm also anticipating this guy I've read about in so many reviews. Noah Shaw. What an awesome name. Who is this guy? How is he involved with Mara Dyer? This book combines romance, mystery and paranormal theme into a fantabulous read I really enjoyed. I could never guess the story plot (which makes it even better). This book is a bit of a mystery as well so it feels like as Mara tries to remember what happened in the accident and what is happening to her, we are also trying to unravel her memories and secrets together with her. While I really enjoyed the paranormal and mystery theme, what makes this book even better was the one and only Noah Shaw.


The romance between Noah and Mara was entrancing and left me breathless. It was not sappy at all and although their attraction felt quick, I didn't mind it at all. There were so many swoon-worthy moments where it left me speechless because it was so amazing. The way these two came to like each other was so sweet and I really enjoyed reading the time they spend together. Basically, the book's storyplot was unpredictable in a positive way that will hook you until the end and the romance is plenty you'll have more than enough! 


Characters:
Oh dear, Noah Shaw, you are my newest latest YA book crush. Let me explain to you how he is my newest obsession and unforgettable character. He is bilingual, has BRITISH accent, a bit of a lonely type (not close with his father), he's rich but thinks that money is not everything, he ties your shoe laces, he carries your bag in school, he opens the car's door for you and he's smart. He is the exact potrayal of perfection and pure awesomeness. Although he's a bit of a smart-ass, he's actually really sweet and truly loves Mara. I never expected that both he and Mara share another same thing besides their attraction and chemistry. Mara herself is a character I was able to relate to entirely. She is having troubles trying to remember what truly happened in the accident while trying to understand what is happening with her. I completely understand her sadness, pain and her attraction to Noah. Of course, she did not expect to meet Noah and fall for him. I also loved reading other characters such as Daniel (Mara's brother) and Joseph (Mara's younger brother). They were both such a nice siblings I want them in my family too! The characters were written very well and I'd like to give Hodkins a big round of applause for writing this fantastic book!


Overall:
The best book I've read in 2012! This book completely blew me away and it was absolutely fantabulous! The book's plot was completely unpredictable and as you try to unreveal the secrets of Mara Dyer and her memories, you get to read the awesome Noah Shaw. I definitely recommend it to everyone who enjoys paranormal and swoon-worthy romance. PS: Don't forget that Noah Shaw has British accent which means, I think you guys know! ;)


Favourite quotes:


Don't. Don't ask me why. It's annoying. I want to. That's it. That's all. So let me.


But I need to go home," I said, my eyes meeting his. "My parents are going to kill me."
"Taken care of. You're at Sophie's house."
I loved Sophie.
"So I'm...staying here?"
"Daniel's covering for you."
I loved Daniel.
"Where's Katie?" I asked, trying to sound casual.
"Eliza's house."
I loved Eliza.
"And your parents? I asked.
"Some charity thing."
I loved charity.


Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.


No, it isn't irrelevant. You want me as much as I want you. And all I want is you."
My tongue warred with my mind. "Today," I whispered.
Noah stood slowly, his body skimming mine as he rose. "Today. Tonight. Tomorrow. Forever." Noah's eyes held mine. His stare was infinite. "I was made for you, Mara."


Have I convinced you to read this book? ;)
5 Forget-me-not flowers for The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer!
Check out the book trailer below! I loved it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...