Tuesday 10 January 2012

#43 Book Review: Cinder




Cinder (Lunar Chronicles #1)
Genre: Young Adult
Pages: 384
Release date: January 5th 2012
Author: Marissa Meyer
Publisher: Puffin
Source: Owned
Format: Paperback
Summary from Goodreads:
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

In this thrilling debut young adult novel, the first of a quartet, Marissa Meyer introduces readers to an unforgettable heroine and a masterfully crafted new world that’s enthralling.

My review:

Cover:
The cover is absolutely eye-catching. Shiny red stiletto? A re-telling of fairytale? Well count me in! The book is inspired from the fairytale Cinderella which is why the cover shows the red heels (a bit to show about Cinderella's glass slipper thing). The cover is intriguing because it makes me want to read the book a lot, wondering how the story will turn out with the re-telling of Cinderella! 


5 Forget-me-not flowers for the cover!


Story:
Wow, I've never quite read anything like this before. It's a fresh new concept and very unique. When I read the summary, I was very interested in how Meyer would bring this Cyborg Cinder set in New Beijing with a re-telling of the Cinderella fairytale and she did it absolutely well!


Cinder, who is a cyborg (at first, I was bit confused about the definition of what Cyborg precisely is but as I read the book, I finally figured it out!) is the number one mechanic in New Beijing. She has an evil stepmother and stepsisters. But, she never thought that her ordinary life would change since meeting Prince Kai of the Commonwealth for the first time. Now what makes this book so unique and interesting are first, it' a re-telling of Cinderella but the character is a CYBORG! Second, it's set in New Beijing. Okay it's a bit of Chinese Cinderella thing and Beijing is such a wonderful city! I've been there so it's good to know that it's being used as a setting in books! Third, there is an epidemic disease that attacks people, which is a very unique disease I've never heard of. Fourth, there are people actually living in the moon in this book! They are called Lunars and they are actually the 'bad' people in the book. So Cinder is more than just a re-telling of Cinderella fairytale. It's full of things you'll never imagine happening in a book at the same time and I really enjoyed reading it. This book definitely lives up to its hype and I'm so glad to have read it and enjoyed it too. Not only do I love the story of Cinder, living her life as a Cyborg and mechanic, her relationship with her evil mother and stepsisters, I find my mind actually drifting to this imaginative place where androids actually exist and they help you do different tasks. Not to mention the fact I love Prince Kai and Cinder's relationship. Although there weren't so many romance between them as in kissing, holding hands and stuffs like that, there is definitely an attraction between them and I love how their relationship grows as they spend time together! I clearly did not expect the ending of the book. It was full of surprises. I never thought Cinder have so many secrets within her that she herself did not realize.

I enjoyed every aspect of this book, I adore the ability of Meyer to take us far beyond the world we ever imagine, take us into this futuristic place where a Fourth World War had occured and people live in the moon!


Characters:
I absolutely love Cinder. She's such an awesome heroine because she's a cyborg, she's a mechanic and she fixes things for you. Plus, Prince Kai is attracted to her. Well, I would want to be Cinder (except no evil stepmothers and evil stepsister) Prince Kai is such a sweet and gentle character. He feels innocent and so kind to me. Even though he's a Prince, he's not arrogant about his status, he treats his people equally and truly cares for them. He is willing to do whatever it takes to keep his people safe, particularly from the epidemic disease. I love the way he bluntly asked Cinder to the ball. If I were Cinder, I don't think I can reply because I would faint first! The characters were written very well and of course, I love other side characters such as Adri, Cinder's stepmom as well as Dr. Erland, the Royal doctor.


Overall:
Cinder takes you far beyond the wildest imagination you ever have. Have you ever thought of people actually living in the moon? Well read Cinder and find out what it's like! I highly recommend to read this book to everyone. It's a unique read with fantastic imagination that you'll be able to feel what it's like to live in the world where this book is set in!

Favourite quotes:

His eyebrows rose, his blue eyes sucking in all the lights of the room. "The cybernetic operation?"
"No, the sex change."
The doctor's smile faltered.
"I'm joking." 

"Vanity is a factor, but it is more a question of control. It is easier to trick others into perceiving you as beautiful if you can convince yourself you are beautiful. But mirrors have an uncanny way of telling the truth."
5 Forget-me-not flowers for Cinder!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...