Monday 5 March 2012

#66 Book Review: The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars
Release Date: January 11th 2012
Author: John Green
Publisher: Penguin Australia
Source: Publisher for Review
Format: Paperback
Where to Buy: Amazon & The Book Depository
More Info: Goodreads

Summary from Goodreads:
Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 12, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now.

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault.

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.

My review:

Cover:
I love the font of the cover! It's like written in crayons and gives this sense and feeling of childhood. I love the blue too but other than that, I'm not a big fan of the cover. Perhaps if stars were actually used in the cover it might make the cover look more interesting!
3 Forget-me-not flowers for the cover!
Story:

Pain demands to be felt...


Hazel Grace Lancaster's shrunk of tumours in her lungs has given her the chance to live longer but it still means carrying an oxygen tank everywhere she goes. Hazel lives her life as any other kid affected by cancer would do and attends a support group where people share their personal story about their cancer. But one day, Augustus Waters comes to the group to support his friend, Isaac. The moment Hazel locked eyes with Augustus, Hazel's life is about to be changed.

Have you read a book that fills you with so many beautiful emotions you barely can contain the second you turned the last page? I've read John Green's Looking for Alaska which was absolutely brilliant and I fell in love with John Green's writing since reading his debut novel. Written from Hazel's perspective, The Fault in Our Stars is perhaps John Green's best book yet. The Fault in Our Stars connected to my life more than any other books I've read before. This is a book about life. Life can change at all times and even though it's hard to accept the fact that life is unfair, LIFE IS UNFAIR. What I loved most about John Green's writing is that he can brilliantly make his readers laugh and cry in the same time and come up with the most amazing characters that I can never think of. Hazel and Augustus' journey together explores different themes of life, innocent love and how being 'sick' does not mean the end of everything. I loved how the fictional book An Imperial Affliction brought these two characters together and the sweet moments they share with each other. About 100 pages to the end of the book, my eyes were flowing with tears. Life is about to change again for these two characters and it really crushed my heart. The ending though, was perfect. Oh John Green, I adore every bit of your book to pieces and will do forever. I do, John Green. I do.


Characters:
Hazel and Augustus are characters that I've never encountered in any books before. They are characters that make you cry, laugh and smile all the way through the book. Hazel Grace and Augustus Waters, you guys are completely made for each other. Okay? Okay. How? Because they are similar to each other and they completely understand each other. The connection they share is so deep and their love is so pure and beautiful. The characters' love are true love that inspires you. It's pure love where you love someone you are willing to do everything for them to just to see them smile or happy. Augustus is such a heart-warming character who gives this book a warm touch and smile. I love him so much. So much my heart breaks. There is one thing I want to give to both of these characters and it's time

Not only do I love the two brilliant realistic characters, I love both Hazel and Augustus' parents. They are so supportive of their children and they never give up. This is what parents should do when their kids are attacked by any kinds of sicknesses. Parents should be strong and supportive of their children because if they won't, then who will? John Green's characters are always so well-written and they are characters that reminds me of life.


Overall:
The Fault in Our Stars is a brilliantly well-written novel about life. It is perhaps John Green's best book yet and I'm deeply grateful to John Green for writing such a beautiful novel that my tears itself are not enough to repay. The Fault in Our Stars makes me think about how life offers us a lot of chances to be anybody, to do anything as long as time is with us. Therefore, we must always make best of life for we live our lives once and once only. The Fault in Our Stars will leave you filled with so many beautiful emotions you never want to let go and understand how amidst the darkest times, love at its purest form will brighten your life.


5 Forget-me-not flowers for The Fault in Our Stars! I'd give all the stars in the universe for this book!
Thank you Penguin Australia for the review copy!

Favourite quotes:


 “That's the thing about pain...it demands to be felt.”
“Oh, I wouldn't mind, Hazel Grace. It would be a privilege to have my heart broken by you.”

“I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, then all at once.”

“My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations.”  

Check out the AMAZING book trailer! I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

2 comments:

  1. This review is beautiful Celine! You did an amazing job!
    Pavan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure I already commented on this, I remember reading your thoughts on the cover!

    Anyhoo, I know I need to read this like NOW! Must bump to the top of my list!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...