Thursday 5 April 2012

#82 Book Review: Blood Song

Blood Song (Lharmell #1)
Release Date: September 1st 2011
Author: Rhiannon Hart
Publisher: Random House Australia
Source: Author for an Honest Review
Format: Paperback
Where to Buy: Fishpond
More Info: Goodreads
Summary from Goodreads: 
When her sister becomes betrothed to a prince in a northern nation, Zeraphina’s only consolations are that her loyal animal companions are by her side – and that her burning hunger to travel north is finally being sated. 

 Already her black hair and pale eyes mark her out as different, but now Zeraphina must be even more careful to keep her secret safe. Craving blood is not considered normal behaviour for anyone, let alone a princess. So when the king’s advisor, Rodden, seems to know more about her condition than she does, Zeraphina is determined to find out more.  

Zeraphina must be willing to sacrifice everything if she’s to uncover the truth – but what if the truth is beyond her worst nightmares?
My review:


Cover:
I love the cover! I can feel this eerie gorgeous feeling just by seeing the cover. The girl also looks similar to how I imagined Zeraphina looks like! 
4 Forget-me-not flowers for the cover!
Story:

Does blood sing to you the way it sings to Zeraphina?

Zeraphina knows there's something different about her. Her mother and sister do not have black hair and pale eyes. Zeraphina craves for blood and she has strong urges to go to the North. When her sister, Lilith, is betrothed to Prince Amis of Pergamia, Zeraphina finally has the chance to satisfy her urges by going to the North. But what if going to the North means finding out the truth beyond what she expected?

Blood Song is a brilliantly written book. I had high expectations when I read this book, seeing how most Aussie bloggers love it and not only did it live up to my expectations, it was beyond what I expected. It was just that amazing. The moment I turned the first page of the book and started reading, I was sucked into this beautiful world with a kingdom called Amentina and Pergamia. Written from Zeraphina's POV, Blood Song introduced me to an eerie and enthralling world of Lharmells. Although there were not many fighting or action scenes happening in the story until near the end of the book, I was filled with gorgeous stories in the kingdom of Pergamia, the lives of the people there and the relationship between different characters. My favourite scene would the ball held in honour of Zeraphina. That scene was simply put: beautiful. I admire Rhiannon's writing. Her vivid descriptions of the ball, the dresses made me feel as if I was participating in the ball as well. Not only was that scene beautiful, it was romantic and mysterious. I loved how this scene connected the story to an action scene where Zeraphina fights the Lharmells and I am absolutely satisfied with the ending. This does not mean I am not dying for the sequel because I AM.

Characters:
Zeraphina was a heroine I simply adore. I can connect with her in every ways. I particularly admire her ability to shoot arrows and her love for animals. Rodden is an intriguing character who I absolutely love from the very first moment I met him in the book. He was cold at first but then he turned out to be quite a romantic guy. The 'Peacock' Scene was my favourite. Rodden was so swoon-worthy in that scene and my heart melted. He shoots arrows too! I love reading about Zeraphina's and Rodden's relationship. Their relationship is not sappy, built after spending their time together and because they are both similar. I also enjoyed reading about Lilith (Zeraphina's sister), Renata (Zeraphina's mother) and other characters in the kingdom of Pergamia. The Lharmells's description made me shiver. They were scary, creepy and inhuman. Fingers crossed there will be more Rhodden and Zeraphina scenes in the next book! 

Overall:
Blood Song is an eerie, gorgeous and brilliantly written book which will transport you into the world of Lharmells and the kingdom of Amentina and Pergamia. Readers will be taken on a journey along with Zeraphina to discover the truth about herself and her connection with the Lharmells. If you love fantasy, this book should go automatically to your TBR. Need another reason? Rhodden. So what are you waiting for? Read the book before the sequel comes out in August!
5 Forget-me-not flowers for Blood Song!
PS: Don't forget The 'Peacock' Scene, guys! (Well, I call it the 'Peacock' scene but it's the 'Peacock' Scene in the ball! ;)

Thank you Rhiannon for the review copy! ♥

11 comments:

  1. Great review!! I added it to my TBR list. I'm a new follower and just wanted to drop by and say hi :) Thanks for stopping by my blog btw!

    -Riya :) (The Teen Book Guru)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I do hope it will be published in the US. The writing really sounds interesting. Rodden sounds so *sigh* that I want to meet him. Plus, Zaraphina sounds like my kind of girl.... yep... this one I need to put on the wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book and can’t wait to read Blood Storm! Rodden ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant review Celine, I didn't even realise until now you were an Aussie blogger!!! I'm seriously jealous right now! you guys always get the best books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so great when a book not only meets your expectations, but surpasses them! :D Plus I love the fact that you were able to connect with the heroine. Great review, Celine! I'm glad you enjoyed this so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful review, Celine! Lisa and I have been planning to do a readalong of this book for ages, but something always gets in the way. I love that you gave the cover 4 flowers (stunning, btw) and the story 5. That is just so rare.
    I just love it that Zeraphina proved to be an admirable heroine. I'll try to move this up on my tbr. Can't wait to compare notes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this one is new to me. I agree, I love the cover. I'll have to add this one to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey! Great review, I've been meaning to read this book for a while. It's on my to read list. I'm a new follower, love your blog!

    Follow mine? www.tumblingbooks.com

    Thanks,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Squee!! Celine! I think you know I loved this book :D It makes me SOOOO happy that you did too, we can both get excited over Blood Storm's release now! I so love Zeraphina aswell, she's so admirably feisty <3 And RODDEN. THAT MAN. Sexy and infuriating. Damn those men who get under our skin. We can't scratch the out. We don't WANT to :D

    Awesome review Celine, you are making me want to reread this all over again. And ahh! Yes! The peacock scene! <33

    ReplyDelete
  10. Um, I'm just really digging this book now. It's a sudden, unexpected, and blinding crush that's JUST developed on this book. I am now coveting my chance to read it. I love how you describe the stories and THE GUY. Oh, how I want The Guy! Rodden seems to be my kind of man. Throw in the cover, and I might as well buy the book now. DAMN MY LACK OF FUNDAGE! :K

    Asher

    ReplyDelete
  11. EEEEEEE! Celine, this sounds AMAZING. I swear I don't think I've read a review for this before, but it sounds insanely cool. SO glad you loved it so much, and I'm so intrigued by the premise! ♥♥♥

    I always LOVE your reviews, lovely! Your enthusiasm is contagious!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...