Tuesday 17 April 2012

#90 Book Review: Fever

Fever (The Chemical Garden #1)
Release Date: February 16th 2012
Author: Lauren DeStefano
Publisher: Harper Voyager
Source: Publisher for Review
Format: Paperback
Where to Buy: Amazon & The Book Depository
More Info: Goodreads
Summary from Goodreads:
Rhine and Gabriel have escaped the mansion. But danger is never far behind.

Running away brings Rhine and Gabriel right into a trap, in the form of a twisted carnival whose ringmistress keeps watch over a menagerie of girls. Just as Rhine uncovers what plans await her, her fortune turns again. With Gabriel at her side, Rhine travels through an environment as grim as the one she left a year ago―surroundings that mirror her own feelings of fear and hopelessness.

The Two are determined to get to Manhattan, to relative safety with Rhine's twin brother, Rowan. But the road there is long and perilous―and in a world where young woman only live to age twenty and young men die at twenty-five, time is precious. Worse still, they can't seem to elude Rhine's father-in-law, Vaughn, who is determined to bring Rhine back to the mansion… by any means necessary.

In this sequel to Lauren DeStefano's harrowing Wither, Rhine must decide if freedom is worth the price―now that she has more to lose than ever.
My review:

Cover:
The cover is just as gorgeous as the first book. I love the dress, I love how the girl is holding a tarot card and the circus themed background. It really portrays the whole novel!
5 Forget-Me-Not flowers for Fever!
Story:

Escape is not the end...

Fever was another great book in The Chemical Garden Trilogy although I was somehow disappointed with how the story goes. I read Fever as soon as I finished Wither so seeing how Wither was such an awesome book that I really loved, Fever didn't quite hook me as much as Wither did. The story plot was really interesting but if the order of how things happened in the book was changed, perhaps it might have made me love the book more. Fever is still written from Rhine's POV as she tries to survive after escaping from the mansion with Gabriel. I have been wondering what is going to happen after Rhine and Gabriel escaped from the Governor's mansion. I never thought they would be captured in a carnival circus and had to stay there for a while. When I read the book, I was hoping that Linden would appear and try to take Rhine back to his mansion but only Vaughn appeared and it was only for a while. The last 50 pages of the book though was very exciting. It was what I've been looking for when reading Fever. It was so exciting and made me dying to get the third book! If only I was this excited when reading the first 3/4 of the book!

Characters:
Rhine somehow changed in this book. She begins as a strong-willed character who was very determined to get out of the mansion but after she succeeded, she didn't try really hard to survive and thoroughly think about what is going to happen from now on. She still tried her best to escape from the carnival to get to her home but as the book gets closer to the end, I can feel that Rhine is giving up. Gabriel was quite similar to Rhine too. Although, I think they are both still well-written characters. We are also introduced to new characters in this book from the carnival which leads to the meeting of another new characters. Vaughn is still very EVIL. I really hate him. He is just too cruel but again, he is a very great antagonist in the story. Linden is not in this book until about the last 50 pages and I'm really interested to see how this story develops from the ending of Fever!

Overall:
Fever, the sequel to Wither brings you a story of Rhine's survival after her escape from the mansion along with Gabriel. Although I didn't enjoyed it as much as Wither, the ending made me anxious for the third book! If you loved Wither and haven't read Fever, I highly recommend you to read Fever and if you haven't read any of the books in the series, what are you waiting for? Go read it now because it is awesome!
4 Forget-Me-Not flowers for Fever!
 Thank you Harper Collins Australia for the review copy!

Check out the book trailer!

12 comments:

  1. I really like your review Celine. I agree with pretty much everything you said and I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the order of events was off. I worry when I tell people that they think I'm crazy for wanting to rearrange the events.

    Anyway, the point is, I really enjoyed reading what you thought of the book and I think it was an excellent review :)

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww..it's a pity you didn't enjoy this as much as Wither, but I'm still glad it was a good installment nonetheless! I'm still debating whether to start this series or not :S I have a feeling I won't like it though :/ Fantastic review Celine! I hope the third book will be better :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Celine you are on a roll with these awesome books! I'm sorry the beginning didn't work out for you, but atleast the last 50 pages made up for it I suppose? Do you have to wait long for the third book? I'm such an impatient person especially if a book ends on a cliffhanger! So I hope you don't have to wait too long! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wished I had this book right now in my hands . . . oh if only! I'm super glad you enjoyed this book and I really hope this sequel lives up to Wither which I adored so much. Guess I'll have to wait and see then. Anyway great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually liked this book more than Wither. I hated Rhine in the creepy mansion and was so happy to see her and Gabriel out on their own. Gabriel is really sweet. I did like the last 50 pages and was happy with everything that happened with Linden. I'm really curious where it will go from here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Celine! True. Rhine and Gabriel changed in Fever. It was so different from Wither. I liked it less though. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really excited to read this one! I don't love the idea of Rhine giving up toward the end, she was so strong in the first book, but I guess so much of it depends on what happens in this book to get her to that point. Really fantastic review Celine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still haven't read this because I think I sensed that it just wouldn't be quite as good as Wither, and from your review that seems to be the case! I'm not sure I much like the sound of Rhine's personality change--she was so determined and strong!!! Having said that, I AM intrigued by this carnival, and about the last bit which you said is really good, so I think that at some point I will read it...it's just when!

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your enthusiasm for this series, Celine! But I just don't think I can bring myself to read Fever :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you enjoyed this one, didnt really loved the first book but I am still curious with Fever, and reading your reviews makes me want to read it more. THanks for sharing CEline. x

    Ƹ̴Ӂ̴ƷFICBOOKREVIEWSƸ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, sorry it wasn't quite as fab as the first book, but it sounds INSANE. OK, and seriously, these books have the most gorgeous STRANGE covers. LOVE LOVE LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amen!!! I totally agree with you about this book series. It is just beyond excellent!! I love it so frakking much. Is it bad that I want Rhine to be with Linden though????

    Great and honest review. Keep them coming!

    Rebecca @ Vicariously

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...