Wednesday 6 June 2012

#109 Book Review: The Selection

The Selection
Release Date: June 7th 2012
Author: Kiera Cass
Publisher: Harper Collins Australia
Source: Publisher for Review
Format: Paperback
Where to Buy: Fishpond
More Info: Goodreads
Summary from Goodreads:
Thirty-five beautiful girls. Thirty-five beautiful rivals…

It’s the chance of a lifetime and 17-year-old America Singer should feel lucky. She has been chosen for The Selection, a reality TV lottery in which the special few compete for gorgeous Prince Maxon's love.

Swept up in a world of elaborate gowns, glittering jewels and decadent feasts, America is living a new and glamorous life. And the prince takes a special interest in her, much to the outrage of the others.

Rivalry within The Selection is fierce and not all of the girls are prepared to play by the rules. But what they don’t know is that America has a secret — one which could throw the whole competition… and change her life forever.
Cover:
I fell in love with the cover at first sight. The gorgeous girl with the pretty blue dress completely entranced me. Somehow that cover itself makes me feel pretty. I love the blue theme of the book and it really reflects the story because the main character loves blue!

Story:

Welcome to the glittering world of The Selection

When I first heard of The Selection, I was absolutely dying to read the book. I would have bought this book for the cover alone but the story sounds really interesting. Then I read some mixed reviews on the book and it made me really worried to start the book. Although, I tried to keep my mind open, tried not be affected by the reviews so I can determine what I think of the book myself. 
The Selection completely surprised me. I was impressed at how the story hooked me from the first page. This world filled with glittering gowns and tiaras entranced me. I wanted to live in this world. The book is considered a dystopian novel but the dystopian genre is different to the dystopian books we are normally used to reading. The concept of The Selection itself was quite interesting. 35 girls fighting for a prince? That sounds really cool! I do have to admit that some parts in the beginning of the book made me roll my eyes. The lines were a bit cheesy but nevertheless, I really enjoyed the book! The ending was not a cliffhanger yet I’m dying to read the next book!

Characters:
I really adore the characters in The Selection! When I first started reading the book, I found America Singer quite annoying. I felt like she was arrogant because she was beautiful and pretty. When everybody praised her for her beauty, she just acted like ‘oh please, not you again?’ But as the book progresses, I enjoyed reading about America and how she started to fall for Prince Maxon even though she still loves Aspen. 

Oh now let’s discuss the boys! As you can see, there is a love triangle in this book. But I really love it! I love both boys though I think I love Maxon a bit more than Aspen. Just because he’s so gentle, sweet and never broke America’s heart, unlike Aspen. Maxon was very charming and I can’t imagine being him, having to select a girl from the 35 girls who entered the Selection. He cannot freely choose his own wife. Aspen was also charming in his own way! The other girls in the Selection were great. They each have different personalities. Some can be really annoying and some can be really kind. America’s sister, May, was so adorable and cute! She reminds me of my own little sister. I can’t wait to meet the characters again in the next book!

Overall:
The Selection is an entrancing and captivating novel. Imagine living in a world filled with glittering gowns and tiaras. Can America win the Selection and beat the other 34 contestants? With two charming guys in the book, how can one ever decide whom to choose? The Selection absolutely impressed me and I’m looking forward to read the sequel!
4 Forget-Me-Not flowers for The Selection!
 Thank you Harper Collins Australia for the review copy!

Check out the book trailer!

11 comments:

  1. This book sounds all kinds of fun! I'm really happy you enjoyed it. I can't wait to read this! I've read some mixed reviews lately, but overall people were more on the positive side ;) It's near the top of my TBR so <3 Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been absolutely dying to read The Selection ever since I heard of it too! (It's STILL not out in the UK though!!) (But I think it's coming out in two days? YAY!) I fell in love with the cover straight away, and then I read the summary and was pleased to find that it sounded as good as it looked! I'm glad you enjoyed it - you've made me even more excited to read this now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh, Celine! I looooooove your review and how it makes this book sounds like so much fun! It sounds like this is one that starts out with sweetness and ends out in depth and awesomeness, and I'm glad that America grows as an awesome character for you more as the book goes on :) LOL I don't know how the girls in books manage to choose between their two awesome guys -- it can't be easy! x)

    Beautiful review, Celine! I'll be reading this one soon, and then I can gush about the cover and characters and fun-ness of it with you! ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought this one was pretty fun! Nothing spectacular, but I enjoyed it well enough to continue with the series. I think I prefer Maxon at the moment too, although that might change yet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to read this book! It sounds so good. And quite a few people prefer Maxon, I'm actually quite surprised - from the summary, I wouldn't have guessed that! Fab review, really can't wait to read The Selection. Glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked The Selection too. Didn't LOVE, but loved in lowercase if you know what I mean :P I loved the sparkly setting too-it was very refreshing BUT I found the boys, Maxon and Aspen, kind of bland. I was a little annoyed by America in the beginning as well but I agree she grew into a stronger and nicer person. Or we were privy to her nicer qualities towards the end, I guess! Glad you enjoyed it and fab review, Celine <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, this is such a cute review! I wasn't a fan of this book but I can definitely see how others were. It's a fluffy book filled with dresses & a prince! I liked how sweet Maxon was too and I loved that a character reminded you of your own sister. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY! Celine, so glad you liked it! I was really apprehensive about this one, too, but cheesiness aside, I just couldn't put it down. I was kind of addicted. FAB review, and OMG. MAXON! *WAVES MY FLAG* TEAM MAXON! TEAM MAXON! TEAM MAXON!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely review, Celine! So glad to see you back in Blogosphere. Miss you so much deary! <3 I tried to read The Selection two weeks ago and was a bit annoyed by America. Ouch, I hope I could say 'Oh no, I'm not beautiful! Please stop telling me that!' to everyone just like she did LOL. Make me feel like telling her, 'OH GOSH please just say thank you and spare me the misery'. :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love triangle, hmmmm.
    Negative reviews, double hmmm.
    The drama surrounding this book, I'm not sure.

    So this book is really tormenting me.. Perhaps I should do the same as you did: just go into this book without being infected by those reviews.. I'm glad that you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...