Monday 25 June 2012

#119 Book Review: City of Lost Souls

City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments #5)
Release Date: May 8th 2012
Author: Cassandra Clare
Publisher: Walker Books Australia
Source: Publisher for Review
Format: Paperback
Where to Buy: Fishpond | Booktopia | Dymocks
More Info: Goodreads
Summary from Goodreads:
The demon Lilith has been destroyed and Jace has been freed from her captivity. But when the Shadowhunters arrive to rescue him, they find only blood and broken glass. Not only is the boy Clary loves missing–but so is the boy she hates, Sebastian, the son of her father Valentine: a son determined to succeed where their father failed, and bring the Shadowhunters to their knees.

No magic the Clave can summon can locate either boy, but Jace cannot stay away—not from Clary. When they meet again Clary discovers the horror Lilith’s dying magic has wrought—Jace is no longer the boy she loved. He and Sebastian are now bound to each other, and Jace has become what he most feared: a true servant of Valentine’s evil. The Clave is determined to destroy Sebastian, but there is no way to harm one boy without destroying the other. Will the Shadowhunters hesitate to kill one of their own?

Only a small band of Clary and Jace’s friends and family believe that Jace can still be saved — and that the fate of the Shadowhunters’ future may hinge on that salvation. They must defy the Clave and strike out on their own. Alec, Magnus, Simon and Isabelle must work together to save Jace: bargaining with the sinister Faerie Queen, contemplating deals with demons, and turning at last to the Iron Sisters, the reclusive and merciless weapons makers for the Shadowhunters, who tell them that no weapon on this earth can sever the bond between Sebastian and Jace. Their only chance of cutting Jace free is to challenge Heaven and Hell — a risk that could claim any, or all, of their lives.

And they must do it without Clary. For Clary has gone into the heart of darkness, to play a dangerous game utterly alone. The price of losing the game is not just her own life, but Jace’s soul. She’s willing to do anything for Jace, but can she even still trust him? Or is he truly lost? What price is too high to pay, even for love?

Darkness threatens to claim the Shadowhunters in the harrowing fifth book of the Mortal Instruments series.
Cover:
Absolutely gorgeous! I love how the cover finally features Jace and Clary together. Clary's dress looks so fierce and her hair looks amazing! 

Story:

What price is too high to pay, even for love?

City of Lost Souls completely took my breath away. It is the 5th book in the series but I love it as much as the first, second, third and fourth book. Cassandra Clare truly knows how to write a series so engaging, gripping and romantic it will hook you from the very first page.

City of Lost Souls picks up from where City of Fallen Angels ended. Clary tries to find Jace and when she finds him, she noticed that something is wrong with Jace. The answer: Sebastian. Jace and Sebastian are now bound to each other. Kill Sebastian and you'll kill Jace too. Can Clary save Jace and break the bond between him and Sebastian?

This book is fairly thick, about 500 pages but it did not feel like 500 pages at all. I couldn't stop reading. Once I got into the book, I just had to continue reading and find out more about what was happening. The book was written from different POVs so we got to see what's going on in their heads and I love it. The book was fast-paced, filled with actions, amazing romance and the ending made me desperate for the next book!

Characters:
Clary is still our kick-ass heroine! She is so brave and will do anything to find Jace. She is not afraid of facing dangers and her love for Jace is so strong that she is willing to take the greatest risks for him. Her chemistry with Jace is still so amazing and romantic. Jace is still the same sort of arrogant but hot shadowhunter although he is controlled by Sebastian throughout the book. Jace is still Jace, but he is not Clary's Jace. 

While I loved Jace from the first book, I really liked Simon as well. His relationship with Isabelle is so cute and sweet. I would definitely want a best friend like Simon. He always supports Clary and is always ready to help her.

Magnus and Alec are my favourite couple in the book too! They are completely adorable and perfect for each other. I also really liked Maia and Jordan even though I did not quite paid attention to them in the previous book. 

Sebastian, what can I say? You surprised me a lot. I can't even decide if you're pure evil or merely a wretched and sad person who needs a family to support you.

To summarize, the characters are all brilliant!

Overall:
City of Lost Souls is simply put, brilliant. Cassandra Clare never ceases to take readers in an exciting, romantic and gripping journey back into the world of The Mortal Instruments. The last book in the series, City of Heavenly Fire, is going to be out in 2014 but I'm going to patiently wait for it because Cassandra Clare will deliver yet another brilliant book worth the wait to conclude the whole series.
5 Forget-Me-Not flowers for City of Lost Souls!
Thank you Walker Books Australia for the review copy!

Check out the book trailer!

16 comments:

  1. I stopped reading these after the 3rd book, but I'm so glad to hear they're still sweeping you off your feet!! I like how you say Sebastian surprised you a lot and seems to have conflicted you - love when characters are layered and confuse your heart ;D Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, I'm so glad you enjoyed this, hun! And like you, I think the cover is pretty good, it's nice to see them with heads!

    My interest in Cassie's books has waned but I do think I want to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing review, Celine! I'm so glad you loved this book as much as I did. Sebastian surprised me a little in this book too. I even started questioning his intentions (though it was short-lived!) but loved how complex his character was. I can't wait for book 6! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant review! COLS was almost perfect and I adored it so so much. Cannot wait for the next book <3 I need the answers to these mysteries! AND I NEED SOME JACE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book has so many emotions in it. Oh Malec . . . how I adored them together! Anyway fab review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe I haven't read this yet Celine!!! I need to get to it immediately, I love this series so much. Jace and Clary just rip my heart out every time, and clearly this time is going to be no different. I've heard quite a bit about Sebastian in this one, so I'm definitely curious to see how I'll react to him. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad this worked out for you, Celine! I was ready to give up on this series, but Lisa (my co-blogger) convinced me that this book is defintiely worth reading, so I will, and hopefully soon.
    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Celine, your review was great. I love Alex and Magnus and am glad they are more prominent in this but I am with Maja, I am on the fence on this series and after the last book I was planning on giving up the series now I am on the fence.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to read this! I love Simon. I really like the growth in his character and I like him with Izzy. I'm a bit scared of how crazy Jace and Sebastian will be. Magnus and Alec are awesome they always make me laugh the way they bicker.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Celine this is an awesome review and you make me want to read this series..i own them and they look so pretty on my shelf..but i have yet to read them..LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ack! Can't read your review since I've only read the first book and wouldn't want to spoil myself T_T But wow, five stars! That's really great. I actually have the second book sitting on my shelf, practically screaming at me to get started on it... Maybe I'll have to indulge soon :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am SO GLAD you enjoyed this! Jace and Clary are obviously amazing together but I LOVED what we saw of Magnus and Alec in this book <3 The ending was seriously so sad and ahhh, it killed me! :( But I definitely agree with you about Simon and Isabelle-they're absolutely adorable and cute together haha! Fantastic review, Celine! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like a great series to try! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. so glad you loved it Celine. I had a hard time finishing this book because Jace is so different here and I am missing him so much. But I am stil a huge fan of this series. and will get back to reading it again soon as I can. Great review Celine x
    Ƹ̴Ӂ̴ƷFICBOOKREVIEWSƸ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, hell, CELINE! YOU KILL ME. I *OWN* all these books, but I've not read anything since CoG... I need to change it. It's the series that got me in LOVE with YA, and now... Oh, seriously. If it has to wait for Christmas break like VA did, it has to wait, but I am SOOO reading these SOON. BACK TO BACK. LIKE NOW O___O

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is my faveeeee YA series but I still haven't gotten round to reading this one! *Bows head in shame* Even more excited to read it after reading your review! :)

    p.s. I'm giving away a City of Bones quote pendant if you're interested ;P
    ~New follower~
    -Laura
    CoB Giveaway

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...