Monday 2 July 2012

#123 Book Review: The Golden Lily

The Golden Lily (Bloodlines #2)
Release Date: June 12th 2012
Author: Richelle Mead
Publisher: Penguin Australia
Source: Publisher for Review
Format: Paperback
Where to Buy: Fishpond | Booktopia | Dymocks
More Info: Goodreads
Summary from Goodreads:
Sydney Sage is an Alchemist, one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of humans and vampires. They protect vampire secrets—and human lives.

Sydney would love to go to college, but instead, she's been sent into hiding at a posh boarding school in Palm Springs, California–tasked with protecting Moroi princess Jill Dragomir from assassins who want to throw the Moroi court into civil war. Formerly in disgrace, Sydney is now praised for her loyalty and obedience, and held up as the model of an exemplary Alchemist.

But the closer she grows to Jill, Eddie, and especially Adrian, the more she finds herself questioning her age–old Alchemist beliefs, her idea of family, and the sense of what it means to truly belong. Her world becomes even more complicated when magical experiments show Sydney may hold the key to prevent becoming Strigoi—the fiercest vampires, the ones who don't die. But it's her fear of being just that—special, magical, powerful—that scares her more than anything. Equally daunting is her new romance with Brayden, a cute, brainy guy who seems to be her match in every way. Yet, as perfect as he seems, Sydney finds herself being drawn to someone else—someone forbidden to her.

When a shocking secret threatens to tear the vampire world apart, Sydney's loyalties are suddenly tested more than ever before. She wonders how she's supposed to strike a balance between the principles and dogmas she's been taught, and what her instincts are now telling her.

Should she trust the Alchemists—or her heart?
Cover:
SO PRETTY! I love how the girls in the cover represents Sydney and Jill! Their blond hairs are so gorgeous and I love the 'golden' theme of the cover. Really reflects the title of the book!

Story:

Life is never easy, not when you're an Alchemist...

The Golden Lily can be summarized into one word for me and that is ADRIAN-TASTIC. So, do I love it? I LOVE IT EVEN MORE than Bloodlines. You see, I loved Bloodlines but I loved The Golden Lily even more. I WORSHIP THIS BOOK. I finished this book in just about 3 hours and my hands are literally glued to the book. I just had to keep on reading until I reach the final page of the book. 

I can't really say I've been waiting ages for The Golden Lily because in fact, I haven't. I've only read Bloodlines recently, in May and only had to wait a month before the sequel came out. But that one month felt like YEARS. DECADES. CENTURY. Why am I so desperate for this book? One answer = ADRIAN.

My head is a mess now because all I can think of is the word ADRIAN but the story plot was AMAZING! It was unpredictable and I love how the 'new' characters in the book made a significant role to the story. This book had it all. Romance, actions, heart-melting scenes, you name it. Richelle Mead's writing is truly AMAZING. She has done with it the Vampire Academy series, and she has done it again with Bloodlines series. 


Characters:
ADRIAN. That one word is enough to make us all swoon right? In Bloodlines, he's AMAZING but in The Golden Lily, he is BRILLIANT and SUPER DUPER SWOON-WORTHY. I can even claim myself as Team Adrian because despite Dimitri's appearance in the book, all I can think of is ADRIAN. I love how we understand more about Adrian in this book and see a different side to him and his life. I love his growing relationship with Sydney until it reaches a point where my heart stopped beating for a second before it melts (well, that's too exaggerated, but anyhow...) My heart breaks quite a few times for Adrian. Let me just say, I hate Nathan Ishvakov. Yep, I just hate Adrian's father. Why? I don't want to spoil you but he is not a good father.

Sydney also developed as a character in this book. She is still the intelligent, neat and very dedicated Alchemist but she's getting used to work with vampires and even dating with someone other than Adrian! So, she dated Brayden. My first impression of him = COOL. You guys clicked! But as the story goes, I really really disliked Brayden. Yeah, you're smart, you're brainy, you're sort of cute but you're nothing like Adrian. Sorry Brayden. No offence. 

Well I think I do need to dedicate a few sentences for Dimitri. You're still awesome of course and I love how there are hints here and there about your sweet relationship with Roza. Your Zen-Master-Wisdom is never too old! Sonya is a great character too but I don't exactly like her. Oh and there are some characters who completely surprised me!


Overall:
The Golden Lily is ADRIAN-TASTIC. Romance, actions, heart-melting scenes, you name it, it's there. This EPIC sequel to Bloodlines is oozing with the awesome-ness of one character we all love: Adrian. I loved Bloodlines but I worship The Golden Lily. Richelle Mead has done it again with the sequel to her Bloodlines series. I think I'm going to have to go all strigoi waiting for The Indigo Spell, coming in February 2013!
5 Forget-Me-Not flowers for The Golden Lily!
 Thank you Penguin Australia for the review copy!

14 comments:

  1. I never really got into the Vampire Academy. I stopped at book 2. But I have to admit, Adrian made a big impression on me. Hearing you gush about him makes me want to tackle the rest of the books just to see more of him!!!

    Great review, Celine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the review, Celine ! :)
    The Golden Lily was definitely Adrian-tastic ! :D :D
    Can you believe that ending ? Pfft ! Good thing we don't have to wait a whole year for the book to come out!
    I'm really glad you loved it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree, I loved this way more than Bloodlines, TGL came together a lot better and was easier to get into because we were returning to characters we liked (or loved!)

    Hurry up, February!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHA I LOVE how all the reviews for this book I've seen are just "adrian adrian adrian" but YES it's like, all you can say. Or atleast the first thing! I am SO team Adrian. I totally agree about how his relationship with Sydney developed, it was fantastic. I loved Sydney's character development individually as well, like you commented on. Awesome review Celine <3

    Cait

    ReplyDelete
  5. ADRIAN *SWOON* He really did take swoondom to a whole new level. He was so sweet and protective of Sydney! His father is pure evil. I would stake him. I just want to shower Adrian in cigarettes, vodka, and cheery slushes and make him feel all better. I did kind of think Brayden and Syndey were cool at first. Their dates were super nerdy but as they went on Brayden was so cold I want to say. Like Adrian says he should have some kind of passion. I died laughing how they kept calling him Brody, Aiden, Brady, and other names. Awesome book with great action and romance indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much love for Adrian! :D After everything I have heard about this book, I think the biggest thing I am looking forward to is ADRIAN. :D I do love his character, even though Bloodlines wasn't as brilliant for me as the VA books had been. Okay, if I'm being completely honest, Adrian is the ONLY reason I want to give this series another shot. ;) Amazing review, Celine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay, Adrian! I honestly couldn't wait to read more about him. Now that I've read it, I can say it was one of the greatest parts of the book (obviously). I also began to hate his father, though :( I can't get enough of Richelle Mead's book, seriously. There's... something in her books that makes them way more than amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to read Bloodlines! I have to catch up! I want to see all the Adrian goodness :P. Every review I see always raves about him! Really glad you enjoyed this one! I'm gonna try to start the series too - thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. YES! My heart broke for Adrian. I hate his father. *shakes fist* But luckily Sydney made him feel better ;) I, too, liked Brayden at first but then I wanted him to be BFFs with my meat mallet... Super happy you loved this too! I'm going crazy - I NEED MORE! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the word choice of Adrian-Tastic! He definately adds wonderfulness into this amazing book! Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed this book as well, and like you, I didn't have to wait for The Golden Lily either! I actually read both books in 48 hours. :) The wait for Indigo Spell WILL be tough though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahahahahaha! CELINE! YOUR REVIEW IS ADRIAN-TASTIC!
    Ahahah! So glad you loved it, and Strigoi-Celine? *IS SCARED* :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. HEE! CELINE! TEAM ADRIAN!!! YES. That MOMENT when your heart stopped beating... totally NOT even an exaggeration haha. Oh my god. That entire end chapter was just... GAH. PERFECTION. SWOONSVILLE. DEVESTATION *dies* Ugh, yes. Let's go push Nathan in the path of a very hungry Strigoi, shall we? >:[

    Anyway, love your review, Celine!!! ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN!!! Can The Indigo Spell PLEASE come any sooner?! GAH. And the teaser quotes are ALREADY being released! *squee!*

    ReplyDelete
  14. I worship this book, too! LOL <3

    Yay for Team Adrian. I love him SO much. He was epic in this book. EPIC <3, haha.

    Loved your review, Celine! It was fun to read and I am so glad to hear you liked The Golden Lily as well, woohoo :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...