Thursday 13 September 2012

#152 Book Review: Stormdancer

Stormdancer
Release Date: September 1st 2012
Author: Jay Kristoff
Publisher: Pan Macmillan Australia
Source: Publisher for review
Format: Paperback
Where to Buy: Fishpond | Booktopia
More Info: Goodreads
Summary from Goodreads:
A DYING LAND
The Shima Imperium is verging on the brink of environmental collapse; decimated by clockwork industrialization and the machine-worshippers of the Lotus Guild. The skies are red as blood, land choked with toxic pollution, wildlife ravaged by mass extinctions.

AN IMPOSSIBLE QUEST
The hunters of the imperial court are charged by their Shōgun to capture a thunder tiger—a legendary beast, half-eagle, half-tiger. But any fool knows thunder tigers have been extinct for more than a century, and the price of failing the Shōgun is death.

A SIXTEEN YEAR OLD GIRL
Yukiko is a child of the Fox clan, possessed of a hidden gift that would see her executed by the Lotus Guild. Accompanying her father on the Shōgun’s hunt, she finds herself stranded: a young woman alone in Shima’s last wilderness, with only a furious, crippled thunder tiger for company. Even though she can hear his thoughts, even though she saved his life, all she knows for certain is he’d rather see her dead than help her.

But together, the pair will form an indomitable friendship, and rise to challenge the might of an empire.
Cover:
One word = WOW. Isn't that cover EPIC? The girl in the cover looks kick-ass with the way she's yielding the katana and the background is absolutely breath-taking! Plus, the 5 symbols in the corner of the book is amazing too. The cover really reflects the book!

Story:

Would you live in a Japanese-inspired steampunk world? 

My answer = YES. YES if I can live in Stormdancer's world. YES YES YES. はいはいはい! Well, if you haven't noticed, I completely adored this book! Since like Jay, I LOVE JAPAN so I really connected with the amazing world Jay has created in Stormdancer. His world-building is really detailed and his rich descriptions add to the overall "amazing-ness" of this book!

So, have you read a book set in a Japanese-inspired world but combines both fantasy and steampunk genre? Stormdancer is just WOW. Jay's rich writing allows me to actually imagine myself living in this world. Not to mention the kick-ass story plot. Have I mentioned how AMAZING it is? It's packed with actions and while I'm usually a huge fan of romance, I just need more and more fight scenes! But don't worry, there's surprisingly a sweet sweet romance in this book which I completely did not expect! The bonding between Yukiko and Buruu, the thunder tiger (arashitora) is really quite beautiful. The bond created between them is strong, fierce and when they fight together, it feels as though they can beat anything in this world. The only problem I had with this book was it didn't quite hooked me in the beginning but as the story developed, I was really hooked, particularly the last 100 pages of the book! To top it all, I LOVE all the Japanese words used in this book. It really enhances readers' experience since this book is set in a Japanese-inspired world and I think, I'll have to call Jay 'Jay-sama' instead of just 'Jay' since his book is kick-ass!

Characters:
Yukiko is definitely one of the best heroines out there. She is strong-willed, determined and I really adore her! Buruu is a very cool arashitora. I'm sort of scared of Buruu in the beginning since he can be really scary at times but once you get to know him, he is actually quite sweet! Yukiko's father, Masaru is cool too. Yes, his drinking habit is annoying but Yukiko still loves him! Isn't she such a great daughter?

Onto Yukikos' love interest! So there's this guy called Hiro, the boy with the sea-green eyes and Kin, the sweet artificer. While I adore them both, I probably prefer Buruu! Who cares if he's not a real boy? He's a thunder tiger! But fine, if you ask me to choose between those two, then it will definitely be Kin! He's too sweet, kind and is pretty much willing to do anything for Yukiko! There are many other characters who are equally amazing but Jay-sama, your characters are truly brilliant.

Overall:
What happens when steampunk, Japan and fantasy collides? BAM! Stormdancer is born. With the talented Jay-sama's writing, rich descriptions and setting, kick-ass characters (including a THUNDER TIGER), this debut novel will leave you breathless and wanting for more! Absolutely recommended to everyone!
4 Forget-Me-Not flowers for Stormdancer!
Thank you Pan Macmillan Australia for the review copy!

12 comments:

  1. "Stormdancer is just WOW.

    I think you pretty much nailed it :D
    OMFG. BURUU BURUU BURUUUUUUU.
    Kin? Hiro?

    WHO?

    I'm in love with Buruu. The bond is just perfect. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! SO GLAD YOU LOOOOVED! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your review! I'm so happy you loved it, ESPECIALLY BURUU <3 (I mean, who wouldn't love Buruu, right?) I agree with practically everything you said above- the bond between Buruu and Yukiko was absolutely beautiful :)

    Awesome review, Celine!

    Jenni @ Jenni's Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Celiiiiiiiiiine!! This book is... すごい!!!

    You know I loooooved this book so I'm glad you loved it too! Aww, I was all for Hiro at first, but then after the you-know-what happened, I was all for Kin. But I still prefer Buruu over anyone in the book.

    LOL despite my respect for Jay, I can't bring myself to call him Jay-sama, so I settled for Jay-chama instead (chan + sama) because don't you know how adorable he is? The -sama makes him sound so intimidating lol. XDD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, great minds think alike, I love that we both posted our review of this today!

    I agree with you, I didn't really like either guy, I much preferred Buruu!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful review Celine, I adored this book too, the characters and world building made this to be such an epic read! I think Buruu was my favourite too ha, it's funny how we prefer a thunder tiger to a real person! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm seeing this book everywhere lately and I get more and more excited to read it each time I read a review. I've read some varied reactions to it, but that just makes things more interesting I think! I can honestly say I've never read anything set in Japan, so I'm really looking forward to the world building aspect. Thanks for your thoughts on this one Celine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! I'm so glad you enjoyed this one, Celine! It's one of my favorites and I especially LOVED Yukiko! You're tight - she's such a phenomenal heroine - and BURUU! Best. Thunder Tiger. Ever. Well...maybe the only one I know at the moment too, but that's besides the point! ;) Fantastic review, dear! I'm really am so thrilled to see you adored this one! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you enjoyed this one! I probably will read this because Jay is awesome and the cover is badass but, I don't know, I'm not much of a fantasy reader...

    Wow, what a great bunch of awesome sounding characters, I look foorward to meeting them all :)

    Lovely review, Celine! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all things Japanese and fantasy too, but this book just didn't work for me. I'm really glad you enjoyed it though! Brilliantly reviewed, Celine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic review, Celine! :) I love the sound of this, and I agree that the cover is gorgeous too. A Japanese steampunk world does sound cool.. I definitely haven't read anything like it before! Thanks for posting :) x

    ReplyDelete
  11. YAY!! Celine really liked this book. It is WOW! I just fell in love with the imagination of this story and I do LOVE steampunk and when it was Japanese inspired steampunk EEEEPPP!!! I really could handle living in a steampunk world, their clothes and boots rock! Well Victorian Steampunk. Jay's world was awesome and dangerous and a little environmentally damaged. Well alot!!

    Wonderful review !

    Mich

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another rave review for this one. I need to put aside my apprehensions and read this one! Wonderful review Celine. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...