Release Date: September 11st 2012
Author: C.J. Redwine
Publisher: Atom (Hachette Australia)
Source: Publisher for Review
Where to Buy: Fishpond | Booktopia
More Info: Goodreads
Cover:Summary from Goodreads:Rachel’s world is confined to the protective walls around her city. Beyond them are violent wanderers, extreme terrain, and a danger straight out of legend: a beast called the Cursed One that devastates everything in its path.
When Rachel’s father goes missing, she is desperate to search for him. But her attempts to flee the city bring her to the attention of its overbearing ruler. His efforts to control her make the world within the walls seem as dangerous as that outside.
Her only chance at escape is Logan. Once her father’s apprentice, and now her only protector, he feels that helping her might mean losing her completely. But if he can put his feelings aside, they might be able to save more than Rachel’s father. They might be able to break down the walls, and set their people free.
It totally rocks! The girl in the cover with her fire red hair looks just like how I imagined Rachel in the book. The forest and misty background really represents the Wasteland and I love the robe Rachel is wearing!
When defiance means freedom, would you grab the chance?
After hearing about Defiance for the first time, I knew I had to read it. Let me give you three reasons why I want to read this book:
1. THE COVER. I just love it. It screams 'FIERCE' to me!
2. Summary! What is the Cursed one?
3. Writing! I want to know how C.J. writes!
So, now after hearing my reasons, let me tell you if the book actually achieved my expectations.
1. THE COVER = YES. It looks gorgeous in real life!
2. Summary! The Cursed One are seriously creepy. I am scared of them. But the story plot is seriously awesome too! I really enjoyed reading the world of Defiance and the wall that surrounds the city; Baalboden. The city is ruled by an evil Commander who I really hate. Plus, this book is actually a combination of fantasy and dystopian, two of my favourite genres! The concept behind Defiance is quite interesting too. I am really curious of the world beyond Baalboden and the Wasteland. There's also an important event in the city called the Claiming where
3. Writing! Oh yes, I LOVE IT! C.J's writing is hooking and just because I can't help it, I have to mention the romance in this book. It's so romantic. (Well duh, Celine. Romance is always romantic) The developing relationship between Logan and Rachel is heart-warming. The book is also written from Logan and Rachel's POV so we actually get to know what is going on in their head throughout the story!
So I guess it's a tick to all!
I have to admit, at first, Rachel is not a very likeable character to me. Even though she is portrayed as if she is a strong, independent and fierce girl, her behaviour in the beginning seems too childish. She gets quickly angered by simple things and acts as if she's strong when she's in fact, not. I still didn't quite liked her even until the end of the book.
But Logan is another case. I LOVE HIM! Okayy, I always love guys who invent things and Logan here, is one genius inventor! He invents gadgets that are so useful even though he is a tracker himself. I love how he is such a calculating person who considers Best Case Scenarios and Worst Case Scenarios. It's kinda cute!
Oliver, Rachel's surrogate father is really kind and it makes me really sad because something huge happened to him. It's all because of the COMMANDER! He's such an evil guy. But overall, the characters are really enjoyable to read about!
Defiance is a great combination of fantasy and dystopia. Would you risk being defiant when it means freedom? I definitely enjoyed reading this book even though I had some problems with the main character, Rachel. However. the other characters are AMAZING (but not the Cursed Ones!) C.J. Redwine's writing is hooking and I highly recommend you to check this book out!
|4 Forget-Me-Not flowers for Defiance!|
Thank you Hachette Australia for the review copy!
Check out the book trailer below!